A Message from the Principal | 院长的话
- 卫理神学院创院于一九五四年，同时也是东南亚神学协会的成员（ATESEA (Association of Theological Education in South-East Asia)。当你阅读本院的招生手册，你会发掘卫理神学院的远象和独特之处，就是要为上帝的荣耀，提供上帝的子民一个整全的训练，使他们成为满有基督身量，服事上帝的领袖和仆人。透过其课程和活动，卫理神学院提供一个全面的方式来蒙导学生，让他们在学术和实践上帝话语有卓越的表现。卫理神学院的学生不只是在课堂上有活跃的学习交流，在本地教会和宣教工场的实习塑造他们回应上帝的呼召，去成为牧者、宣教士、音乐干事和教会领袖。
Warmest welcome to Methodist Theological School, Sibu (MTS) in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ!
- MTS was found in 1954 and was fully accredited by ATESEA (Association of Theological Education in South-East Asia). As you read this prospectus, you will discover MTS uniqueness and vision to provide a holistic training for God’s people to be Christ-like leaders and servants to serve Him for His glory. MTS offers a holistic approach to mentor her students to excel both in the pursuit and practice of God’s word through its curriculum and activities. MTS students not only actively engage academically in the class rooms, their fieldwork in the local churches and mission fields also helps to shape them for their calling to be pastors, missionaries, church musicians and leaders.
- Life in MTS is enriching and exciting. Your will find yourself pursuing a life of sanctification through worshipping, praying, learning, gardening, playing and eating in a multicultural context with students coming from Malaysia, Indonesia, China and New Zealand. In the past we have students from Taiwan and Papua New Guinea..
- We will be most happy to have you visiting us and talk to us about your calling and your plan. Come and be blessed!
Rev. Dr. Khoo Ho Peng Principal
前任院长的话 : 为什么要报读卫神？
A Message from the predecessor Principal: Why Study at MTS?
Sibu Methodist Theological School (MTS) has some unfavorable conditions that cause people to think twice before enrolling. What are the unfavorable conditions?
- MTS is located at a relatively unknown small town (Sibu), not in the international metropolis. It is difficult to attract those yearning for city life;
- MTS is a seminary with Methodist background, not from an inter-denominational or independent church background. This is more difficult to attract students from other denominations;
- Although we have about 60 years of historical background, we are only having the 14th batch of graduates by this year since the reopening of our Degree Courses. This is difficult to attract those who aim for higher degree (like Master of Theology, or Doctoral study, etc.);
- MTS is not well-known among the churches other than Methodist churches in East Malaysia. So most of our students are from the Methodist churches of East Malaysia.
However, all these unfavorable conditions can also become favorable, such as
- Small town is the best place for study;
- The strong points of Methodist on its Revival history, Practical Divinity, Administrative Organization, etc can be the role model for other churches;
- The degree courses offered are biblical, evangelical, contemporary, and moving forward with plans;
- Recent years, more people get to know MTS, now we have students from China, Taiwan, Australia, West Malaysia and others.
In addition to the turning of “unfavorable” to “favorable” conditions, MTS also has other attractive points:
- Community Life: MTS students and Lecturers stay together in the campus as a community: dining, playing, chit-chatting, praying, evangelizing, worshiping, serving and others.
- Spiritual Formation: Experience the Holy Spirit during the daily (Tuesday-Friday) morning chapel service, from 5:15am until 6:15am; Look up for God’s mercy during the weekly fasting prayer, and save the money for Work of Mercy; To share and to be accountable to each other through weekly family group gathering.
- Lecturers’ qualification: Besides having academic credentials, our more than ten lecturers’ team also has experiences in pastoral or missions field, and actively involve in church ministries, which provide practical teaching.
- Academic Requirements: MTS’s programs are not only recognized by the Association of Theological Education in Southeast Asia (ATESEA), but are also integrated with other higher requirements, such as Bible, Orthodox Theology, Wesleyan Theology etc.
- Evangelism & Missions: MTS has organized Missions Awareness Week yearly for more than ten years. We invite experienced missionaries for talks, and we also send family groups to many places around Sarawak to work with local parishes. Every week, our lecturers and students go out for evangelism. During year end, we send our students for overseas missions exposure. We have started Missiology program four years ago, with the purpose of training future missionaries.
- Practical Divinity: Every Theological student is appointed to churches during weekend for fieldwork practical. They are assigned to participate in para-church organizations during their third year of study in MTS. Daily normal Christian life is counted as part of the training.
- Worship & Music: MTS has started Worship & Music program about ten years ago, to train church musicians, which has upgraded the standard of worship & music in MTS and churches.
- Support from Churches: MTS is supported by three Annual Conferences of Sarawak and Sabah, to offer the lowest school fees, the best facilities, and the best team (all churches, board members, faculty, staff and students, etc).
- International students: MTS has the permit from Sarawak Internal Affair Department on recruiting international students.
- Church Environment: MTS is located at a blessed place, a place where Methodist members from China migrated more than a hundred years ago. They started to build churches and schools here. Today, there are more than 5 Methodist churches in Sibu, with more than a thousand worshippers, besides other large or small churches around Sibu area, which can be known as the Jerusalem of Malaysia. Students who are trained here will be able to see how God has blessed the churches in this place.
Praise the Lord that in recent years, church leaders from many places have come to know the advantages of MTS as mentioned above. They encourage their church members to study in MTS. We hope, by God’s grace and guidance, MTS is able to bless more churches and societies.
Rev Dr Tie, King Tai Predecessor Principal